[Nix-dev] Zero Hydra Failures (ZHF) project for NixOS

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 14:25:56 CET 2014

On 10/27/2014 06:59 PM, Michael Raskin wrote:
>> - IRC bot that reports build failures for a range of commits once
>> nixos-combined jobset is done
>
> Would be nice
>
>> - email to commiters that broke the the build (with a range of commits and
>> list of builds failed)
>
> Would be nice
>
>> - nixos channel updates only when there are zero failures on jobset (this
>> would mean reverts will happen often - and I believe that's the correct way
>> to go instead of blocking people and punishing good testers)
>
> Back to the good old times of any failure blocking channel update, m-m-m.
>
> But we now have binary cache, so that doesn't matter that much.

I have to say that I am somewhat wary of this approach: not getting a
channel update because a random package failed seems like an overkill:
we'll have to wait each time until a privileged person comes on and
restarts the build and/or wait for a commit causing rebuild. I don't
think a user will care that a package they'll never use hasn't succeeded.

It'd be cool if it was possible to do ‘given my package list in
configuration.nix, use the latest commit where all these packages
succeed’ on NixOS.

> Can we also have a branch where bot would push the zero-failure channel
> commits, but no one else can push?
>
>> - encouragement of "nox-review wip" use. This will bulid also all
>> reverse-dependencies (good old Gentoo times)
>>
>> - ease of bisecting failures (for 99% of use cases this could be a range of
>> commits done for jobset with test script respecting exit code of nix-build)
>> - it could be even done as a separate service or part of hydra or just a
>> copy/paste command for local testing
>
> I hope there would be bisect-wide failure caching (most of the time you
> simply need to find the first commit that changed anything at all in the
> build).
>
>> All that being said, there are still number of false positives that will
>> drive people crazy. Mostly due to networking issues and transient failures
>> in build systems (mostly during testing phase). We should address them one
>> by one and reduce hard unpurities. I've already done so as part of ZHF, but
>> much more work is needed.
>
> Well, I think giving long-time committers minimal access to Hydra jobs
> (restarting failures as transient), that could already be a step
> forward. I am not sure whether it is possible to give out GC forcing
> rights without creating madness…

Mateusz K.