[Nix-dev] A few questions about Arm support and NixOS on a Chrome-book

James Haigh james.r.haigh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:58:26 CEST 2014

Hello,
    I also wish to install NixOS on ARM hardware.
    I have a series 3 Samsung ARM Exynos 5 Chromebook which I bought
specifically for being an ARM-powered Linux laptop. However, though it
comes with ‘Linux’, Chrome OS is absolutely terrible and as a result it
has just been sitting collecting dust since I bought it nearly 2 years
ago. Clearly Chrome OS isn't the full GNU+Linux so I want to install
NixOS on it instead.
    The Chromebook isn't the only device that I wish to install NixOS on
though; I also want to install it on a BeagleBone Black, a PandaBoard
ES, and, if possible, a Raspberry Pi. The R'Pi isn't so important
because it's pretty old now and is ARMv6 which apparently isn't so well
supported. The BeagleBone Black and the PandaBoard ES are both open
hardware platforms that I intend to use a lot. I will use BeagleBone
Blacks for various electronics projects; the PandaBoard ES will be used
as a desktop PC.
    In fact, I don't intend to buy new x86 hardware ever again. I'm also
going to be increasingly keen to avoid buying new hardware that isn't
open. Another platform that I'd like to see support for is Novena; with
the success of the Novena project so far, it's clear that they're going
to be centre-stage in the open hardware scene next year. And that's
another ARM-powered platform.
    So yeah, having good support for the ARM Chromebooks and other ARM
devices would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
James Haigh.