[Nix-dev] A few questions about Arm support and NixOS on a Chrome-book

Liam Daly liamw950 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 09:51:59 CEST 2014

Hey, firstly great work with everything! I use nix on my main computer with
Gentoo but I've come into possession of a Samsung arm Chromebook.

I really want to put Nix on it but I have a few questions first, What's the
support like for Arm like at the moment? Is it possible/viable/desirable to
enable Arm builds on Hydra as the chromebook has a terrible processor and
how big is a NixOS installation (Eg. X, a web browser, Emacs and several
programming languages) ?

The reason for the last question is that Chrome-books have a limited hard
drive and from what I've seen some Nix Closures are quite large.

If the install is quite large is there any way to put some of the programs
on a portable hard drive but not to require it? For example, have all the
important programs stored on the Chrome-book but put extra Nix programs (In
my case games or other large unimportant programs) on the hard-drive.

Thank you and sorry if any of my questions were bad.