[Nix-dev] nix-repl / nix-build inconsistency in haskell development

athan.clark at gmail.com athan.clark at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 02:39:24 CEST 2014

Hello everyone, I'm very new to nix, but I've been working with haskell for
a little while and have gotten used to cabal sandboxes and the like.

After looking at a few example packages, I see that the
<nixpkgs>.pkgs.haskellPackages.cabal.mkDerivation function is traditionally
used, and it expects a single-parameter function for configuring the
package to be built.

I've been following joelteon's nrwhl.org project
<https://github.com/joelteon/nrwhl.org/blob/master/default.nix> as a
reference example. Here is mine: http://lpaste.net/113178. When I call
`nix-build default.nix`, while in my project's directory, I get this
output: http://lpaste.net/113179.

My "~/filter" directory looks like this:
- default.nix
- filter.cabal
- src/
- ...

The weirdest part for me is that I can actually build everything fine while
in `nix-repl`! Here is the output I get from doing that:
http://lpaste.net/113180.

Where did I mess up? I can't really see what's happening here. Any help
would be very kind and awesome :)

Thank you very much!