[Nix-dev] About 14.11 release

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:35:59 CEST 2014

I appreciate the work being done by Domen and jumping in as release manager.
I'd like to point out a few things however about the milestone issues.
The release should be due for October 31th, and in my vision the date is
near and the work put in the milestone is huge.
Take this as a help for the release, not as a critique.

Non-urgent non-trivial (at first glance) issues being in the milestone
that should be removed in my opinion:
#2079 - nixos-assimilate - Turn currently running system into NixOS .
Great work being done by aszlig, however I feel like it's a dangerous
tool to include by default in NixOS. I'd expect more people to try it
first as an external tool before inclusion.
#1684 - Define a standard way/location for non-standard(eg. html)
package documentation - Basically we've been without docs for many
packages until now. No work has being done for this issue, I think it
will be a huge amount of work spent that could be allocated instead to
make packages run better.
#739 - meta.license and meta.licenses standardisation - Same here, I
think unless there's any work being done already, it can be delayed.

In my opinion, some other issues / pull requests are release critical:
#4563 - Xfce mixer applet does not work - This seems like a regression
from the previous stable release
#4546 - NetworkManager fails to start due to dbus permission issue -
Definitely a regression, not sure what the guy did there though
#4300 - NixOS: XMonad requires xterm disabled / not respecting
`desktopManager.default = "none";` - Often encountering people having
this problem, it's unintuitive. In milestone only if it's really easy to
fix.
#4201 - authentication not possible after nixos-rebuild from master - We
need to test upgrades from 14.04 to 14.11 with mutable users and
whatnot, unless you want to be locked out from your own server.
#4587 - Added line SCSI_SAS_ATA y on line 62 - Make nixos install on
more devices

I haven't gone through all of the issues.

Best regards,