[Nix-dev] Upstream incompatibility tracker

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Tue Oct 21 20:57:44 CEST 2014

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 18:45:32 Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> On 10/21/2014 06:29 PM, Luca Bruno wrote:
> > Isn't it possible to just use their web interface instead? By doing a
> > version match.
>
> +1, that's what I would expect. It seems pointless to implement the
> thing twice.

It isn't about implementing it twice since the code is supposedly open.
Relying on someone's service is prone to problems such as that service not
liking you scraping their site or changing layout. Matching by package name
and versions is also fuzzy, plus it doesn't work against random checkouts,
patches and probably doesn't cover many nixpkgs packages :(

But I guess we don't really have a better solution than scraping for now...