[Nix-dev] Is systemd a benefit or a liability?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Oct 19 15:32:58 CEST 2014

Hi Eelco,

 >> The most important one is that by assimilating all kinds of standard
 >> Unix services like cron, ntpd, and syslogd into a monolithic
 >> program, systemd prevents innovation because it's nearly impossible
 >> to replace any one of those services with an alternative one.
 >
 > This is simply not true. Cron, ntpd, syslogd etc. all work fine on
 > systemd.

maybe we use the term "replace" differently? I would very much like to
get rid of journald in favor of an ordinary syslogd, but I have no idea
how to do that. I could run a syslogd in addition to journald, of
course, but that's not what I mean by "replace".

If I am missing something obvious, i.e. if there is a way to switch off
journald and run an external syslogd instead, then please let me know!

Best regards,
Peter