[Nix-dev] Reengineered npm2nix: call for feedback

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 22:13:55 CEST 2014

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Sander van der Burg <svanderburg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> About default.nix: The actual file that's generated can be named
> differently with the following parameter: -c someotherfile.nix. I'm
> thinking about merging all the output files together. However, my personal
> preference is to keep them seperate because one file is generated and the
> other is written statically. Also I find it better (personally) to have
> some concerns separated, but there is no strong reason against merging them
> in the end, since we rely on generation anyway.

Is it possible please to avoid this auto generation by default? If I do -i
... -o ... I expect that to be the only output.

> Currently, the generated packages are not overridable, but I think it's
> better to have the ability to do so. It's simply that I don't have
> consciously thought about that.
>
> About your final use case: if I understand you correctly, you want some
> means that allow you to query all dependencies of the set of packages in
> node-packages.json, without the packages themselves? And from that you want
> to compose an environment?

Yes. I want to access an attribute with the name of the package, e.g.
nodePackages.mypkg, and be able to only peek the ones I've listed. The good
thing it's that with the current nodePackages it's very easy to install
packages from nix-env -iA. In your generated .nix I'd have to know the
version instead, it's unpractical.