[Nix-dev] sigil: new package

Nick Sauce nick.sauce at monumentmail.com
Sun Oct 12 09:27:10 CEST 2014

Michael Raskin <7c6f434c <at> mail.ru> writes:

> Committed with some cleanup.
>
> Notes for the future.

Thanks for the committing and feedback!

> 0. Please make sure that your mail program doesn't mangle the patch!
> One of the ways to ensure it is to attach patch file.

Sorry.  I'm posting through gmane's UI and haven't figured out how to fit
patches nicely -- and haven't succeeded in determining whether diff/patch
format supports a way to wrap lines.  I haven't figured out how to do
attachments via the UI either.  If anyone knows how to do these things, I'd
love to know :)

> 1. Use version, not the_version for version number

Noted.

On a side note, I was trying to use underscores in names of attributes that
don't seem to have an "official" function (e.g. patches, preInstall, etc.)
to avoid potential collisions with possible future "official" attribute
names.  I noticed that "version" seems to be widely used but haven't figured
out if it gets used by the underlying machinery -- do you know if it gets
used or perhaps this is a convention?

Also, might there be a semi-comprehensive list of such attribute names that
should be adhered to?

> 2. Please remove commented-out shell code or explain why leave it in the
> expression

Understood.

> 3. Usually it is a good idea to define pre* and post* additions instead
> of overriding the entire build. For example, you could probably define
> postUnpack to do the fixes and set cmakeFlags.

An initial attempt was made to not override the entire build but I failed to
figure out how to appropriately specify -G "Unix Makefiles" for cmake.
Would be happy to learn how this might be done!

Thanks again!