[Nix-dev] Installing in $HOME and datadir

Paul Colomiets paul at colomiets.name
Sat Oct 11 11:41:40 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12 at thebird.nl> wrote:
> PRoot has given me the easiest and nicest Nix install in user land
> *EVER*. PRoot tricks Linux in adding a /nix/store mounted on $HOME
> somewhere.
>
> I have updated the wiki:
>
>   https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_nix_in_home_%28on_another_distribution%29
>
> Finally a Nix that is happy in $HOME, and I get binary installs too.
>
> Magic, really. Game changer. Totally.
>
> $HOME installs are essential for scientific computing. Thanks Ian-Woo
> Kim for giving the pointer.

Hm, that's nice. But given the PRoot works using ptrace, it's probably
very slow, right?

Also I think it's nicer and easier to setup similar thing using user
namespaces which are available in linux kernel >= 3.8. It's possible
with LXC or with just "unshare" utility from coreutils and a couple of
lines of bash.

--
Paul