[Nix-dev] Reengineered npm2nix: call for feedback

Sander van der Burg svanderburg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 23:35:55 CEST 2014

Hi Wout,

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding some of your issues:

- I'm not sure why you're having these weird issues, but if you have a
node_modules/ folder in your working directory then it's copied into the
build environment and it's actually used for deployment. This is because I
also want to support packages having bundledDependencies. These kinds of
packages also have stuff in their node_modules/ folder and I'm not allowed
to change these to mimic NPM's behaviour. Instead, I should use them.
- Yes ~/.npmrc is used, but that's because I use npm's package fetcher that
seems to require it
- About downloading: I could indeed optimize the download process a bit by
running multiple of them at the same time. Also, if I encounter the same
dependency a second time, still a request is made. In the future I might
optimize this a bit. On the other hand, it should also not break anything
so it should not be too problematic.
- About overwriting default.nix: You can specify the following command-line
parameter to npm2nix: --composition otherdefault.nix to have it named
differently (see: README.md).
- What do you mean by: 'environment definition'?
- I haven't tried phantomjs yet, but I will have a look at it tomorrow.
Moreover, I don't have Mac machine at home (since I don't want to buy one
:) ), but I do have one in the office.