[Nix-dev] NILFS2, NixOS, nixpart and Blivet

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 11:39:20 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Tim Barbour <trb at categorical.net> wrote:
> NILFS2 is a log-structured filesystem which is now in the Linux kernel source
> tree, and supported by GRUB2. It should appeal to NixOS users because it
> avoids destructive update ("changing" a file produces a new version of the
> file).
>
> I have installed NixOS with all filesystems on NILFS2, but encountered some
> problems along the way.

Looking at the details of NILFS2, I saw that it does a linear search
within directories.  This is far from ideal for the /nix/store as this
directory is HUGE.  This might have a noticeable cost at the start-up
of a computer / programs.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/