[Nix-dev] Popularizing Nixpkgs/Nix/NixOS among FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software) developers

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 18:05:04 CEST 2014

Pretty sure this will happen automatically once nixpkgs is more
user-friendly.

Imagine that for example the Discourse team could, instead of distributing
a VM, say "install nix and run nix-env -i discourse", which would install
the ruby environment and the required services on any Unix.

Right now, you can't do that, because ruby on nixpkgs isn't quite there,
and several environment variables are required, and we don't have
nixpkgs-level services.

It's totally doable, just not in place right now.
And it would rock.

Wout.