[Nix-dev] Moving binaries from sbin/ to bin/?

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:04:53 CEST 2014

Hi,

Does anyone mind if we (slowly) move binaries from $out/sbin to $out/bin?

Arguments for doing it:

1) The sbin vs bin distinction is an historic relic from the past. It
makes little sense on NixOS. (Even a normal (LSB-like) distro like
ArchLinux has already made the sbin -> bin switch).

2) It's annoying to have this distinction when writing nix
expressions, having to figure out which of the two directories is the
correct one for *this* package.

3) I just found my second sbin/bin bug caused by sbin being treated as
a second class citizen in nixpkgs. I noticed that our standard builder
will not add packages' sbin/ directory to PATH. (The first issue was
from a long time ago, when sbin wasn't added to PATH by the profile.sh
script (maybe wrong name) when on a non-NixOS distro.)

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman