[Nix-dev] Moving some of the NixOS setup to nixpkgs

Andreas Herrmann andreash87 at gmx.ch
Wed Oct 1 11:40:39 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm using nixpkgs outside NixOS, and I have to agree that there are a few things that could be a little bit better.
I'll just list a few things that I had to work around.

* Curl seems to work fine, except for when I'm using nix-prefetch-url. I haven't figured out what the actual issue is. However, a workaround is to set `NIX_CURL_FLAGS=-k`.

* MANPATH is not set by the default nix.sh profile script. So, I need to set it myself. It would be great if there was some automation for such environment variables. E.g. also INFOPATH...

* Related to the above. I needed to manually install locals, and configure the `LOCAL_ARCHIVE` variable. See [1] for details.

Cheers,
Andreas

[1]: http://lists.science.uu.nl/pipermail/nix-dev/2009-May/002405.html