[Nix-dev] NixOps, managing virtual hardware and network

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 12:21:01 CET 2014

Hi Sergey,

yup, NixOps fits the bill, but I'm not sure what you mean with being bound
to the host's physical adapter.
When you deploy virtualboxes with NixOps it gives the VM 2 interfaces: One
host-local and one on vboxnet0. If you want a different setup you'll have
to tweak nixops here:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixops/blob/41cf9ed862c13a4171c77e3494f9b7ca59a8adc0/nixops/backends/virtualbox.py#L363-L369

(if you do, make it configurable and send a PR please :-) )

As for specifying configuration of host and vboxen in one go, NixOps
doesn't do that. It only runs virtualboxes on localhost.
You can write a systemd service that starts the nixops network if you
like...

Another approach is to create a bunch of VMs manually and add them as
"None" type hosts to NixOps, then NixOps will just use them as-is.

Good luck!

Wout.