[Nix-dev] Nix clobbered my Ubuntu grub.cfg

Joe Hillenbrand joehillen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 03:46:30 CET 2014

I want to dual-boot Ubuntu and NixOS on my laptop.

Ubuntu, because Unity has good touchscreen support and my laptop has a
touchscreen, and NixOS, because I want to learn it for work and I will only
learn it best if I am forced to use it fullish-time. (Please don't suggest
Nix on Ubuntu. I want to learn Nix at the system-level, e.g. kernel
modules, fstab, etc)

I was able to recover by chrooting into my Ubuntu partition and running
update-grub, but that is not a good long-term solution.

Ubuntu and NixOS seem to have completely incompatible grub update
procedures. I'm interested in ideas on how to make them play well together.
I would even be interested in contributing code to facilitate that
behavior, if the forces-that-be agree on a design.

Otherwise I'm enjoying Nix so far.

Thanks,

-Joe Hillenbrand