[Nix-dev] Installing in $HOME and datadir

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public12 at thebird.nl
Thu Nov 6 16:05:40 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 02:39:47PM +0000, Wout Mertens wrote:
>    So is proot much slower than native? I suppose it also depends on the
>    kernel version.

It is slower because it intercepts a number of system calls and
rewrites paths and permissions on the fly. It really depends on your
application whether you will notice it. If you have lot's of IO you
may be better off without.

It is incredibly cool that I can download, install and run nix
binaries without having root on a system.

Pj.