[Nix-dev] NixOS Live CD (Graphic) Boot Failure

J. Brian Kelley jbk at teksavvy.com
Mon Nov 3 14:21:42 CET 2014

Well, I used Windows to check the S.M.A.R.T. and all is good. Besides if
there were a connection problem, Windows 7 would be at best capriciously
unstable and other distros / live-cds would have disk access problems.

The unstable Nov 1 NixOS has the exact same problem and I even repeated
this with the i686 version although I believe my Core 2 Duo 7200 belongs
to the x86-64 class (if only barely).

One of my problems is not knowing how to stop things scrolling off the
screen. (It should be noted that I had the sequence of the eternally
repeated error message triplet wrong - the exception is first, then the
irq-stat and last the SError.) The errors present immediately after the
nixos login prompt is displayed.

Best to have full disclosure on the drive. It is a Seagate
ST2000DX001-1CM164 with 2 TB (really 1.8) capacity and 64 MB cache, but
it is also a hybrid with an 8 GB nand flash front end.

Rearranging the deck chairs (partitions) with the gparted live-cd so
that the extended partition reaches the end of the drive made no
difference (although the Windows system 'feels' faster, which may simply
be a placebo effect).

What more can I do? It seems pointless to attempt a NixOS install using
the Linux Mint live-cd as sooner or later, the NixOS build will have to
be booted and most likely will contain the same problem.

Thanks for your interest.