[Nix-dev] New website

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Fri May 30 15:26:19 CEST 2014

Hello there,

I'm looking at the new website with mixed feelings.  Being less static is a good idea, so I appreciate the news, blog posts and commits sections.  On the other hand it's way uglier and less lucid compared to the old website.  These are minor design issues that we can talk about and fix.

However, one issue with the new site I would rate as critical:

As a good web developer NEVER EVER download anything from external servers unless it is necessary, especially not from entities like Google, Facebook or Twitter.  If at all, do it server-side.  The new website unnecessarily downloads jQuery from the Google servers, not only compromising our privacy, but also every NoScript or Ghostery user will be told: "This website compromises your privacy!".  And for what?  For a dropdown menu?  Come on!  You don't even need JavaScript for that.  CSS alone can handle it much nicer.

I have managed to keep my browser from sending my browsing habits to Google for a long time now.  Indeed, I don't even use Google as a search engine (there's DuckDuckGo).  And today my very Linux distribution forces me to allow access to Google servers.  That's not going to happen, so currently I'm unable to navigate the website at all.  This is the top issue, so as kindly as my current anger allows, I'm asking you to fix this as soon as possible.  I hope I'm not the only privacy-minded NixOS user.

As SPJ once said, avoid success at all costs, because this is what happens when you don't.  I'm not sure the old website really needed to be replaced, but since it was, please remove the badies and bring back the goodies.

Also in this case please don't tell me to send a pull request.  This is web development!  What would take the original developer five minutes would take me hours.

By the way, the Hydra frontend has the same issue.

Greets,
Ertugrul

--
Ertugrul Söylemez <ertesx at gmx.de>