[Nix-dev] Restructuring of the Wiki

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:12:18 CEST 2014

On 05/19/2014 05:13 PM, Alex Berg wrote:
> Wiki maintainers, who care about enforcing the wiki's design,
> can assimilate it by moving it to the right place and editing it's style.

I'm quite sure there was never someone like these "wiki maintainers".

I like the current way that the main and first place for information is
the docs (nix+nixos+nixpkgs manual). The most important things should
change very little and we should take care to make them well-documented,
so IMHO it's good that you need commit access to change it or submit a PR.

Wiki has been created to gather what doesn't fit into the "official
docs", mostly some specific stuff. But as you see, the activity isn't
very high. I don't think that e.g. changing engine is going to improve
that radically, which is similar discussion to
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/1960

As for help with writing packages, the stable parts belong into nix and
nixpkgs manuals. For basic general stuff there's section 5 of of nix
manual (including e.g. callPackage interface in 5.1.3), which is IMO
exactly the correct place. Some important things may be missing, so feel
free to open issue/PR if you see some. I guess experienced nixers don't
notice, as they know the big picture and are used to find details in the
source code (definition is typically accompanied by some comments, and
you can find use examples; "git grep" is your friend).

Vlada