[Nix-dev] Restructuring of the Wiki

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Mon May 19 13:13:04 CEST 2014

On 05/19/2014 10:03 AM, Kirill Elagin wrote:
> Small note first:
> s/Markdown/Pandoc<http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html>Markdown/
> (and this `s/.../.../` thing has to do with `sed`, in case you
> wonder). I guess many of the NixOS people live in the Haskell world, and
> `pandoc` is the tool of choice there. The good news is that it supports
> _both_ reading and writing MediaWiki markup, so it is possible to write
> markdown, convert to MediaWiki markup and upload it into MediaWiki's
> database, edit it in MediaWiki and then convert back to markdown.

Pandoc seems to be a popular choice outside of Haskell community too.

> And this brings us to the question: why wiki? There are other good ways of
> writing documentation, just to name: man-pages, GNU info (I have no idea
> what's that and how to use that and just freak out when a tool's man page
> says “for more details check the info”), plain text files. But for some
> reason wiki is widely used. Do you know why? I don't. But won't it be the
> case that by moving wiki editing to the console you'll break this magical
> wiki charm that makes people write articles?

It's true that there are other ways to provide documentation, but the
appeal of wiki is that all you need is a browser and we've all used
wikipedia before. It's easy to edit (don't need to send patches
somewhere then wait), easy to distribute and easy to view.

Granted, browsers nowadays are not the most light-weight things but most
of us use one.

> Anyway, this sounds like a great project: wiki backed by markdown+VCS
> instead of MediaWiki markup+database. I like the idea, and here are the
> good news: this thing already exists! https://github.com/gollum/gollum
> Even more awesome: https://github.com/jgm/gitit.
>
> So, basically, I can extract three separate goals from your large text:
>
> * Get rid of MediaWiki to make it possible to edit articles in text
> editors. Solution: migration to Gitit.
> * Create a Nix expression that will checkout HEAD of the wiki repository
> and prepare it to be deployed locally (web server serving wiki). Solution:
> create it, but after Gitit migration.
> * Better documentation. Solution: ???.
>
> Now to the main point. I doubt that it's possible to get a good
> community-written wiki by enforcing some kind of policy (like, ”DO write
> articles, and DO write _good_ articles”). I think, everyone agrees that the
> best Linux wikis out there are Gentoo Wiki and ArchWiki and I'm not sure
> that they became so awesome because someone wanted them to. It all happens
> automagically once there is a critical mass of users. I'm afraid that there
> are just not many enough NixOS users to have a really good wiki right now.
> But, yeah, we can try at least.

I agree that rather than there being some technical reason for why
Gentoo wiki is much bigger and complete than NixOS wiki is simply the
number of users. Also notably, Gentoo offers a lot of customisation so
the wiki often has to go in depth about different setups, which is great!

> [...]
>>
>> The reason I suggest these options is because I think that the Wiki needs
>> some serious attention and is in dire need of a restructuring. I think that
>> by starting the discussion of including the wiki maintaining process as a
>> package or as a part of nix expression would be a good start to find
>> alternative ways of including people in the Wiki editing process.
>>
>> Additional additionally!
>> I've created a few pages and would like some feedback from the community
>> in regards to subject and structure. Here are the pages:
>>
>> *The UDX initiative*:
>>     https://nixos.org/wiki/UDX_Initiative
>> *For the uninitiated* (a cheat-sheet in regards to Linux/Unix and Nix(OS):
>>     https://nixos.org/wiki/For_The_Uninitiated
>> *KDE* (example of a simple wiki page):
>>     https://nixos.org/wiki/KDE
>>
>> *"The UDX inititative"* is a theoretical approach to the user & developer
>> relationship and how to most effectively facilitate the processes between
>> them. In the FOSS world there are many initiatives and movements within
>> these parameters. I think it would be a good idea to assemble some of these
>> ideas in to a page that is ment to teach both users and developers how to
>> achieve an optimal state of productivity.
>>
>> *"For the uniititated"* is something I'm working on because I never took
>> the time to learn sed, gawk, regular expressions, and so forth. I intend to
>> add more to this page while I learn how to effectively use these commands.
>> Btw: is cut apart of stdenv? Like I said: I'm still learning, so MY wiki
>> editing will be slower than hell so that I don't provide misinformation.
>>
>> *"KDE"* serves as a temporary playground for illustrating how to make
>> simple, semantic and to-the-point Wiki pages that contain uniform layout,
>> structure and illustrations. By focusing on these tenants the reading of a
>> Wiki page can become incredibly potent in it's ability to teach ideas,
>> concepts and functionality.
>>
>> The point of all these pages is to not just start a discussion around
>> adding data to the WIki, but *how* you add data to the wiki or
>> documentation in general. If it can be easily understood by anyone (and I
>> mean anyone) and if the Wiki can serve as "Linux/NixOS for dumbies"... I
>> know I need it in my shelves - ehr, nixpkgs. Visa vi the UDX initiative is
>> my own spin on UX. Since UX deals purely with the concept of a user and not
>> the developer it is biased towards the concept of a "professional" (or at
>> least for-profit) service and environment. But in the open source
>> environment and within FOSS software the costumer (or "user") is not
>> "always right and the developer is not paid (directly) for their efforts.
>> As such there needs to be guidelines to facilitate easy, effective and
>>
>> Therefor a consensus is required between the two. I think this is a
>> natural step in the right direction for FOSS software as we need to cater
>> to the environment and conditions of FOSS software which are not the same

Mateusz K.