[Nix-dev] Restructuring of the Wiki

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon May 19 10:24:13 CEST 2014

Just a very small comment:
Different wiki systems have been proposed earlier (when we ha da spam
problem). Two were important (to me):

1) http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/index.html (based on git), no login
  required (I haven't had any spam yet) - and if it happens it would be
  trivial to add non standard blockers

2) github's wiki

Both have one big advantage:
Because they can be managed via "git" they could be attached to nixpkgs
version or you could have them on disk and edit them with your favorite
text editor.

Eg you could grep nixpkgs and the wiki in one go to replace names and so
on.

I do use the wiki to add content which probably should not be contained
in the manual so that I don't have to tell people twice.
Examples are: Introduction to hack-nix, how to find help, comparison of
'automatically updating sources' implementations and such.

While "changing things" can be done easily - I somehow still fail to see
which is the big problem you want to solve by your proposal.

Marc Weber