[Nix-dev] Nixos boot fails at stage 1 in virtualbox

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon May 12 16:03:50 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 10/05/14 03:59, Corentin Henry wrote:

> I am trying to install Nixos in virtualbox. I follow
> insttructions from here :
> https://nixos.org/wiki/Installing_NixOS_in_a_VirtualBox_guest
>
>  $ fdisk /dev/sda ;# Create only one ext4 partition, make it bootable.
>  $ mkfs.ext4 -j -L nixos /dev/sda1
>  $ mount LABEL=nixos /mnt
>  $ nixos-generate-config --root /mnt
>
> /etc/configuration.nix :

NixOS doesn't use /etc/configuration.nix but /etc/nixos/configuration.nix
(likewise for hardware-configuration.nix). Maybe you were editing the wrong file?

>     mounting /dev/sda1 on /...
>     mounting /dev/disk/by-label/nixos on /...

This suggests that you have two fileSystems entries for /. The first succeeds,
the second fails because the file system is already mounted.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/