[Nix-dev] haskell ide

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sat May 10 21:23:28 CEST 2014

Roelof Wobben <r.wobben at home.nl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I get the impressing that there are a lot of Haskell programmers here.
> I wonder which ide everyone use except vim and emacs.
> I find them not well to use.

I looked at leksah in the past. It's quite nice for starters.
And there's some haskell plugin for eclipseFP I think.
Of both, I'm not sure if they are still maintained.

As Haskell is moving more and more towards the interactive refinements
style of programming (like Agda and Idris have) by supporting things
like holes and suggesting missing cases, I would really suggest you give
emacs or vim another try, or you will probably miss out on all the
action :) Most other editors are just not flexible/powerful enough for
this kind of fine-grained editor/compiler/typechecker interaction.

All other IDEs/editors I've seen for haskell will only give some syntax
coloring and local name completion with very basic error handling. If
that's all you need, you can probably use gedit (gnome) or kate (kde) as
well.