[Nix-dev] Vastly improved R support

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun May 4 23:33:55 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

Nixpkgs has now really nice support for R: we know all 5000+ packages
currently registered on CRAN. Not all of those packages compile yet, because
unfortunately CRAN doesn't tell us the system-level dependencies of those
packages -- that information needs to be filled in manually as we go along.
You can get an overview over what's working and what's not from:

  http://hydra.cryp.to/jobset/nixpkgs/r-packages

If you want to use R, just configure your preferred set of modules in
~/.nixpkgs/config.nix like so

  {
    packageOverrides = pkgs: {
      rWrapper = pkgs.rWrapper.override {
        packages = with pkgs.rPackages; [ Defaults data_table ];
      };
    };
  }

and run "nix-env -i R". If you don't configure anything, the default R
interpreter corresponds to R 3.1.0 including the "recommended modules".

Best regards,
Peter