[Nix-dev] Some NixOS beginner questions...

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Mar 30 23:01:35 CEST 2014

Hi Everyone

I am new to NixOS (but not to Linux), just installed the stable (13.10)
version and have a number of questions/comments.

(1) Installation with USB stick failed during the first reboot with "waiting
for /dev/sdb1 to appear.....". (Also, the 'boot form harddisk' entry in the
bootloader menu did not exist.) I could install fine after I burned the
image on a CD. It would be nice if installation from a USB stick could be
made to work.

(2) It seems impossible to install NixOS w/o installing the boot loader. I
did not want to overwrite what's in my MBR because I have another system
(kubuntu) on the machine and did not want to loose my boot menu. I tried
installation to some partition but that also failed for various reasons. I
know, this is a general problem with grub2, not partcular to NixOS. Anyway,
after many failed attempts my solution was to create a btrfs on an unused
partition, adding a chainloader entry to my kubuntu-maintained boot menu. A
hint how to do that (in the NixOS manual or on the wiki) would be nice, I
guess experimental installation of NixOS side-by-side with an existing
system is common, considering the experimental status of NixOS.

(3) I love the declarative approach to system configuration. However, for a
newcomer it is hard to find out how to configure his favorite packages. What
options are there and how can I set them? Is looking at the 'sources' (for
the package's nix expressions) the only way? Related question: I tried to
put pkgs.kdepim into environment.systemPackages, which failed for no
apparent reason. Then I stumbled (really, by accident) over a nix snippet
where it said pkgs.kde4.<some-kde-subpackage> and indeed adding the .kde4
worked. How can I find out how packages are organised in the pkgs nix
expression?

(4) How do I fix something if it is broken? Note I don't want to upgrade my
whole NixOS configuration to the unstable branch (as all the documentation
suggests), just make one or two fixes in certain packages (e.g. the nedit
package is currently broken, when starting the binary it crashes with some
X11 bad opcode error). I expected the nixpkgs repository to have a 'stable'
branch so I could check that out and work from there but such a branch seems
not to exist. How else can I replace/fix/change the nix expression for a
single package, leaving the rest of the system as is?

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams