[Nix-dev] Curious on how to configure nginx

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 11:28:26 CET 2014

Hi,

I just discovered NixOS and I'm stoked!

Here's a question I couldn't find an answer to easily: Suppose you're
running nginx as a proxy for a bunch of services. How would you configure
that? Normally, I'd install the latest nginx and then change its
configuration by adding files to /etc/nginx/conf.d etc.

Since Nix packages need to be pure, the configuration needs to be part of
the package, right? So as a sysadmin I would then need to derive the
package, making a new package for every config change?
Or is there a way to make configuration items into separate packages, all
requiring the nginx master package and resulting in a single service?

Just trying to understand it all.

Wout.

PS: Incidentally, having a Google+ community for NixOS would be very nice,
lowering the barriers to discovery and communication.