[Nix-dev] RP-PPPoE should be fixed a bit then included on the CD(DVD)

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 06:37:19 CET 2014

I use an old ADSL modem that does not connect itself to my ISP nor
does lend IP address.
So I need to use RP-PPPoE to connect and deconnect from Internet.

Using nixos-env -iA nixos.pkgs.rp-pppoe is not an option as it try to
connect to Internet to download the sources.

I have been able to test RP-PPPoE under VMWARE (3.10).

First, pppose-setup seems to auto-diagnose a good installation by
checking for /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf file.
And on NixOS it does not exist as it is in the store.
pppoe-status seems to do about the same.

pppoe-setup have made a pppoe.conf file, with user option in
lowercase, but it seems to need to be uppercase to work.

There does not seems to have NixOS options for RP-PPPOE but wvdial
options seems to be there.
Less than one year ago I was still using an external 56k modem... so
installing wvdial on the CD(DVD)
would seems like a good idea to me, even if I would not be surprised
some would disagree.

I think it is important to have the packages that allows to connect to
Internet on the CD/DVD.