[Nix-dev] Fonts

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 20:36:33 CEST 2014

On 06/10/2014 08:26 PM, Wout Mertens wrote:
> I updated the page.
>

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Daniel Bergey <bergey at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-06-10 at 08:46, Wout Mertens wrote:
>>> True... so https://nixos.org/wiki/Fonts is wrong :)
>>
>> Well, no surprise that after 2 months using NixOS I'm still confused. :)
>> But it turns out the way to get more answers is to say something wrong
>> in public.

>> That, and for a while I was manually putting
>> "/nix/store/some-terrible-hash" into fonts.fonts, because I didn't know
>> about the pkgs.foo variables.  When someone explained the right way to
>> set fonts.fonts, it didn't occur to me to try without the systemPackages
>> line.
>>
>> Anyway, now I know, and I can remove a bunch of duplication from my
>> config, which is great.

The page says

 {
   fonts = {
     enableCoreFonts = true;
     …
     fonts = with pkgs; [
       corefonts  # Micrsoft free fonts
       …
     ];
   };
 }

Are both of these lines necessary? Shouldn't enableCoreFonts imply
fonts.corefonts or the other way around? What does it mean to put the
font into fonts.fonts but not enable it? What does it mean to enable a
font but not put it into fonts.fonts?

There are only options to enable few fonts, why not others?

--
Mateusz K.