[Nix-dev] Fonts

Daniel Bergey bergey at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 10 17:33:11 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-10 at 08:46, Wout Mertens wrote:
> True... so https://nixos.org/wiki/Fonts is wrong :)

Well, no surprise that after 2 months using NixOS I'm still confused. :)
But it turns out the way to get more answers is to say something wrong
in public.

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Mathijs Kwik <mathijs at bluescreen303.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> Kirill Elagin <kirelagin at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Why would anyone ever want to add a font to `sytemPackages`?
>>
>> I think this is a leftover from pre-nixos experiences :)
>> I too, when coming from other distros, initially thought everything you
>> use should go into systemPackages. It's the closest thing to "installing
>> a package" in the traditional sense.

That, and for a while I was manually putting
"/nix/store/some-terrible-hash" into fonts.fonts, because I didn't know
about the pkgs.foo variables.  When someone explained the right way to
set fonts.fonts, it didn't occur to me to try without the systemPackages
line.

Anyway, now I know, and I can remove a bunch of duplication from my
config, which is great.