[Nix-dev] multiple-ouputs branch

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:39:16 CEST 2014

Hi.

Currently noone worked on that branch, I believe, but Eelco (and also
me) thinks that we should (attempt to) integrate it before 14.10.

On 06/09/2014 06:18 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> I think [1] is relevant. My personal take on this is that if we don't
> want to pull in Python with glib then the maintainer should offer a
> configurable flag in the glib package which when set, passes the
> appropriate flags to the build process. Think Gentoo USE flags.

No, it's about something else. Especially for development/library
packages, there's lots of stuff that isn't needed at runtime (headers,
generators, etc.). These are supposed to be split, mostly automatically,
into a separate output. Other distros often have *-dev variants of
packages for the same purpose.

Referred [1] is work on one particular package, but we want to (attempt
to) do this for almost all packages by shared code, probably by stdenv
modification.

Vlada