[Nix-dev] Openssl and fast security updates

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Fri Jun 6 14:06:07 CEST 2014

Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 06/06/14 13:29, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
>
>> How are people supposed to use that channel?
>> I don't think I can _add_ a secondary channel which provides a
>> conflicting source (nixos). Switching back and forth doesn't sound
>> easy.
>
> Switching to another channel is very easy:
>
> $ nix-channel --add http://nixos.org/channels/<channel-name> nixos

The command is not the uneasy part :)

I just don't think that switching back&forth for security-updates is a
sane thing to do. Leaving the system at the "security" channel means you
will end up with untested stuff that probably fails the default channel
build.

I would rather have a secondary channel that gets "merged"
(packageOverrides style) into nixpkgs, which only contains overrides
that haven't made it into the main channel yet.