[Nix-dev] New website

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 13:45:17 CEST 2014

On 06/03/2014 01:16 PM, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Maybe nixpkgs deserves its own website.

I'm quite against separating nixpkgs from nixos, on the contrary.

My intuition is that nixpkgs makes more than half of what nixos is; even
when putting aside the fact that nixos expressions also reside in
nixpkgs repo nowadays. There are nixos-specific expressions like for
services and the system config, but mostly they even rely heavily on the
common packaged stuff.

Also, much of the nixpkgs stuff doesn't really work well out of nixos,
because packagers often assume our specific /run/* paths, or just
because IMO relatively very few use it elsewhere on Linux (Darwin is a
bit separate platform).

Vlada