[Nix-dev] Nixos basic Qs

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 23:50:56 CEST 2014

On 07/31/2014 11:30 PM, emil.rangden at chas.se wrote:
> On 2014-07-31 22:45, Ben B wrote:
>> - I have xmonad as my window manager, and it defaults to slim as
>> display
>> manager/login gadget.  My problem is that one of those two opens a
>> terminal
>> by default.  If you type 'exit' into that terminal it kiboshes all open
>> programs and exits the window manager.  If you open other terminals you
>> can
>> close those normally without such dire consequences.  Unfortunately
>> there's
>> no way to distinguish these from the special initial terminal.  Can I
>> just
>> start xmonad without this extra 'terminal' terminal?  How is that
>> configured?  I can't seem to find slim.conf anywhere, assuming that's
>> where
>> I would configure that behavior.
>
> I'm using the same setup.
>
>      desktopManager.default = "none";
>      desktopManager.xterm.enable = false;
>      windowManager.default = "xmonad";
>
> Solved it for me. It seems the display manager looks for a session which
> is a
> combination of the desktopManager and windowManager defaults. If I
> recall correctly
> it was also possible to toggle between sessions using some key
> combination.

  services.xserver.windowManager.xmonad.enable = true;
  services.xserver.windowManager.xmonad.enableContribAndExtras = true;
  services.xserver.windowManager.default = "xmonad";
  services.xserver.desktopManager.default = "none";

Does it for me, just puts me into an xmonad session without any extra stuff.
--
Mateusz K.