[Nix-dev] 32bit on 64bit Nix

Tim Hawes tim at easyfreeunix.com
Tue Jul 29 17:26:12 CEST 2014

Thank you all for your replies!

I am trying to keep the desktop version of my NixOS at stable 14.04
only, as much as possible. Skype is not in the stable repositories,
however, when I put Skype in the configuration.nix, it installs it with
dependencies. I also noticed that some packages that are available to
install via nix-env are not available when you add them to the
configuration.nix. The manual gives me the impression that any package
available with nix-env could be added to the configuration.nix, and
vice-versa. Can some one explain the part I am missing?

Also, is there a script or configuration parameter that will sym-link
essential UNIX utilities under /run/current-system/sw/bin to /bin (like
sed, awk, grep, etc.)? This would be required by any third party shell
scripts, or scripts written for a mixed OS environment (Solaris, AIX,
and Linux).

Thanks!