[Nix-dev] Moving /nix/store to another partition

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 11:54:28 CEST 2014

Hi, List!  Looks like I've made not wise choice of locating /nix/store
in root (/) partition on my build server. Now all 'no space left on a
device' are my friends.  Is it possible to relocate /nix/store's
contents into /home (located on a much larger partition) without
re-installing the entire system? In other words, I want my /nix/store
to be a symlink pointing to /home/nix/store.   Is it safe to just boot
from the CD, move /nix/store to /home and drop the symlink ? Is there
a well-known algorithm of solving this administration task? Store
symlink management is the main thing I am worrying about.

Regards,
Sergey

PS

Currently, mount | grep /dev/sda1 outputs the following:

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /nix/store type ext4 (ro,relatime,data=ordered)