[Nix-dev] 32bit on 64bit Nix

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 10:13:05 CEST 2014

Hi.

On 07/27/2014 04:15 AM, Charles Strahan wrote:
> I wish I had more information (I've only used NixOS in server
> scenarios), but I would suggest first looking at pkgsi686Linux
> <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/dbc829f5d47a145f1bf68c4c0be9d06ecaf1304f/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix#L164>,
> which is the entire nix packages with `system' overridden as
> "i686-linux". There's also callPackage_i686, incase you want to declare
> your own package that is strictly 32bit. I'm always idling on #nixos, so
> feel free to ask some questions there too, and I'll see if I can offer
> any advice.

(assuming you're on a Linux) You can arbitrarily mix 32-bit and 64-bit
packages with nix. Practically each 64-bit has a working 32-bit version.
By default you're getting a 64-bit one, unless the package is
32-bit-only (wine, skype, etc.). If you want to force 32-bit, you can
use the pkgsi686Linux attribute which should contain a 32-bit version of
every top-level attribute.

Vlada