[Nix-dev] 32bit on 64bit Nix

Tim Hawes tim at easyfreeunix.com
Sun Jul 27 02:45:54 CEST 2014

Greetings,

I am new to NixOS, and finally tried it out, going through a bare-metal
installation to a USB drive (I wanted to make sure I could get
everything working on my laptop, for the possibility of switching out
Ubuntu for NixOS). The documentation was clear and concise,
however, it is not at all clear how to install support for running 32
bit application on the 64bit OS. I did stumble on a logged conversation
on the IRC channel, where installing stdenv_32bit was mentioned. But it
was not entirely clear what that does.

I am trying to run the dynamic binary for Skype. I will also be
installing Wine, and a licensed copy of Codeweavers CrossOver Office. I
know Skype depends on 32bit versions of Qt, and several other libraries,
but right now, it would be progress to just get a 32bit version of libc
installed.

Any help in this regards will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tim Hawes