[Nix-dev] GPG on NixOS

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 02:36:19 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've been tryin to sign a git tag with my private key but I am failing:

[shana at lenalee:~/programming/haddock]$ git tag -a -s
haddock-2.14.3-release -m "Haddock version 2.14.3 release"

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Mateusz Kowalczyk (Main key) <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>"
4096-bit RSA key, ID 2ADA9A97, created 2013-01-31

gpg-agent[15413]: can't connect to the PIN entry module: IPC connect
call failed
gpg-agent[15413]: command get_passphrase failed: No pinentry
gpg: problem with the agent: No pinentry
gpg: skipped "2ADA9A97": Operation cancelled
gpg: signing failed: Operation cancelled
error: gpg failed to sign the data
error: unable to sign the tag

I have used nix-env -i to install ‘pinentry’ but that changed nothing.
Looking online, I see a person on IRC with the same problem but when
trying to create a key which makes me think the whole thing is broken.

Is anyone successfully using GPG on NixOS?

A relevant question is why we have gnupg and gnupg1compat: how do they
differ and why do we need both? I notice that only gnupg1compat provides
a ‘gpg’ binary needed by git.

--
Mateusz K.