[Nix-dev] Dynamic Nix Expression Configuration

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at polycademy.com
Fri Jul 4 05:24:59 CEST 2014

Hello everybody,

What's the best way to send configuration parameters to Nix expressions?

Say I have a tool (a bash script) that dynamically generates nix
expressions based on other runtime factors.

I can use the sed tool to find/replace some properties inside the
`x.nix` files. But this can become a mess of unmaintainable regular
expressions.

I would prefer to be able to instead write a config file with a standard
schema, and then get Nix to import this, rather than using regular
expressions.

This could be JSON. But it could also just a be a file with a list
inside it.

I looked at the Nix Manual and found a few "builtins" functions. None of
them seemed to be able to parse config or even a simple list in a static
file.

I saw there was a toJSON and toXML, why not fromXML or fromJSON, or even
just fromFileList or some functions that can parse text.

Barring that, perhaps is there a Nix expression parser that can be
dynamically used?

Thanks,
Roger

--