[Nix-dev] Oracle Java

Catonano catonano at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:22:03 CEST 2014

Kirill,

> There is evidence
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15519891/neo4j-unsupported-java-runtime-use-jdk-6-ubuntu-12-04>
> on the internets that people are happily running neo4j with OpenJDK.
>
> It's indeed a good question to ask the developers of neo4j why do they
> issue this warning, especially since OpenJDK is listed as a valid JVM in
> their system requirements
> <http://neo4j.com/docs/2.1.1/deployment-requirements/>.
> As Luca said you shouldn't use OracleJDK unless you have really good
> reasons to do so (weird warning from the developers is not a really good
> enough reason). If you worry about the warning you might try to search on
> the web or just ask the developers what issues may arise with OpenJDK.

Thanks for your remarks. I found this

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/neo4j/2Jntfsyodws

it seems relevant.

That said, it looks like neo4j requires a somewhat high limit on the number
> of open files, so “packaging” of neo4j won't be that simple—it will include
> some modifications to NixOS to accommodate this requirement.

This is something I don't know how to deal with. But it's too early for me
for this.

For now I still have to read about the language for writing expressions.