[Nix-dev] hydra admins: please take care of i686 GHC out of memory issues

Gergely Risko gergely at risko.hu
Thu Jan 9 16:04:39 CET 2014

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:22:41 +0100, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/09/2014 11:16 AM, Peter Simons wrote:
>> So whatever it is that's causing this error, I tend to believe that it*is*
>> related to the machine in some way.
>
> Note that the jobs built on stdenv-updates fine a few days ago, and I
> think there are no specific haskell-related changes there.

Can it be that the build machine somehow used too many threads?  This is
just a hunch, but can we maybe test the build with -j1?  Maybe with many
CPUs it uses much more RAM or one process tries to use more than 4G ram
which is not OK on i686.

Any other tips what should I try locally to reproduce this issue?

Also, the error is consistently happening, but always at a different
point in the build process, so it is really strange.

On the other hand, the end result (haskell missing from bincache) is
really annoying :(

Gergely