[Nix-dev] /tmp

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Mon Jan 6 22:07:26 CET 2014

Hi all,

Is there a way to tell nix(-daemon) to build somewhere other than /tmp ?
I'm currently using a tmpfs there, but for big rebuilds(stdenv) this won't do.
Make the tmpfs too small and big builds will run out of space.
Make the tmpfs too large and hit swap, rendering the system unusable for
minutes in bad cases, which is not nice if you are using it in the mean
time.
Of course I can keep build-max-jobs low, but for most of the build, it
is very capable of building 8 derivations simultaneously without issues,
it's just that big ones like xulrunner, ghc, mongodb, libreoffice hog up
everything once they come along.

Of course I can choose to not use a tmpfs on /tmp, but I'm very happy
with it for almost everything else (including nix building).
It's really just these huge full-system-rebuilds that I need to work
around.

Any suggestions?

Mathijs