[Nix-dev] More permissions on hydra for people with push access

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Mon Feb 24 09:56:14 CET 2014

Hi Pascal,

 > Whats the reason for the current policy of granting only very few
 > people those rights on hydra?

I don't think there is any particular reason. These are just two
different systems. The configuration on Github has no effect on the
Hydra servers, which are hosted elsewhere.

 > Wouldn't it make sense to grant those rights to all with push access?

Personally, I like the notion. It just seems unlikely that it's going to
happen. The Hydra servers belong to the University of Delft, if I'm not
mistaken. Would it be appropriate for "random people" (Nixpkgs
contributors) to control what these machines do? Hydra consumes
significant resources, so there's a legitimate interest to ensure that
those people who control them really know what they're doing.

Take care,
Peter