[Nix-dev] lens 4 transition plan?

Gergely Risko gergely at risko.hu
Wed Feb 19 16:07:17 CET 2014

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:14:46 +0000, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

> You're right, hack-nix assumes that there are too many variations of
> building packages, which is why it allows to change "flags" for
> individual targets. You're right, there are no "binary caches", but once
> a dependency got compiled its likely to be reused for other projects,
> most libraries get compiled fast once you have ghc - and ghc is the
> same ..
>
> hack-nix provides another nice feature for "power users" (like you claim
> to be one): it generates tags for all depedencies, thus you can jump to
> source easily - eg map or sequence or whatever you use.

Yes, these are very cool features and it's good to be aware of hack-nix
and thank you for pointing it out.  It's just not perfect for me right
now, since for a system that is about distributing development
environment to multiple computers, compiling everywhere from scratch is
not good enough.

But I'm sure that I'll find places where hack-nix is perfect and I will
try to remember to use them there instead of reinventing something worse.

Thanks again,
Gergely