[Nix-dev] How to install in NixOS in a KVM virtual machine?

Colin Adams colinpauladams at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 12:18:59 CET 2014

I've defined a virtual machine (using virt-manager running on Fedora 18),
and booted the live-CD iso image on it. Whilst I've many years experience
of linux, I don't have any experience of KVM, and I'm puzzled as to how to
follow the installation instructions in this scenario.

The first item mentioned is using fdisk for partitioning. But I'm not at
all clear what is available to be partitioned in a KVM environment.

Then there is the target file system on which NixOS should be installed. I
guess this should be one of the partitions created using fdisk. But I'm not
sure if "/dev/dis/by-label/nixos" is to be taken literally, or if there are
substitutions needed.