[Nix-dev] NixOS Postfix service module config: why empty local_recipient_maps value?

aldiyen aldiyen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 23:11:22 CET 2014

Hello,

I just started trying to use NixOS a little under a week ago, and after
installing the Postfix service I found that I was having trouble preventing
my server from sending backscatter. After some searches, I found that when
the local_recipient_maps setting is empty (which it always is with the
config that is created), Postfix will accept email for unknown local
recipients and then send a delayed bounce notification. (See
http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html)

What is the reasoning behind the decision to set it up this way, without
the option to override it? Is there some expected configuration or use case
that I'm missing here?

Thanks! Hopefully I'm following proper etiquette here -- I just joined the
mailing list today

-aldiyen