[Nix-dev] Haskell NG

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Dec 30 10:58:53 CET 2014

Hi Charles,

 > How much work remains before we can flip the switch?

the 'haskell-ng' branch in [1] is pretty stable by now. According to [2], we
can build approximately 50% of Hackage. There's more work to be done in
cabal2nix, improving the generated package list to get that percentage up
some more, but IMHO the major challenges have been solved. Anyone who wants
to look at the code, can check out [3].

Also, everyone is welcome to try out the new Haskell environment: get the
'haskell-ng' branch, add the attribute

  provideOldHaskellAttributeNames = true;

to your ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix file, and then your normal configuration
should work just like it did before -- unless, if your configuration was
based on the ghc-wrapper. Then you'll have to convert to ghcWithPackages,
because the wrapper is gone.

It will be 2-3 more weeks until I'll open a PR, asking for review before
merging to 'master'.

Best regards,
Peter

[1] https://github.com/peti/nixpkgs