[Nix-dev] Dataflow

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at polycademy.com
Sat Dec 27 10:20:37 CET 2014

Oh so that there are harmless forms of non-determinism. I totally forgot
about things like that. So there is no way for Nix to automatically know
if the package is built correctly? You still need the user to try the
package and see if it functions correctly.

I know that some packages come with tests. Mongrel2's built from source,
comes with a bunch of tests, that you can run at the end, to verify that
the built version works according to its tests.

On 27/12/2014 8:10 AM, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> On 12/26/2014 04:23 AM, Roger Qiu wrote:
>> Given that the build isn't deterministic, is there any provisions for
>> Nix to force it to be deterministic?
>
> We are blocking some frequent sources of non-determinism (e.g.
> __DATE__), but it's practically impossible to get rid of all (e.g. UID).
>
> Fortunately, some upstreams also find it's good to have a (more)
> deterministic output.
>

> Vladimir

Founder of Matrix AI
http://matrix.ai/